The University Council has eight voting members (5 external members, 2 members of the University with different group affiliations, 1 representative of the Ministry) who have been appointed by the Ministry for a term of four years (19.11.2019 to 18.11.2023).
- Mr Klaus Berka (Consultant/Shareholder of Roboscreen GmbH Leipzig)
- Ms Ivonne Höhn (Managing Director of Caritasverband für Ostthüringen)
- Ms Maria Koller (Head of Global HR and member of the Executive Management Committee of Jenoptik AG)
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Popp (Director of the Leibniz Institute for Photonic Technologies)
- Ms Sabine Wosche (Managing Director of the State Development Corporation of Thuringia)
- Dr. Michael Edinger (Head of Department Thuringian Ministry of Economics, Science and Digital Society)
- Mr Stephan Kirchner (Ernst Abbe University Jena)
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Töpfer (Ernst Abbe University Jena)
Chair / Vice Chair for the current term of office 19.11.2019 to 18.11.2023
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Popp was elected Chairman of the University Council on 27 February 2020, and Ms. Sabine Wosche was elected Deputy Chairman.
Task of the University Council
The University Council (§34 ThürHG) of the Ernst Abbe University of Applied Sciences Jena makes recommendations on the profile of the university and on setting priorities in research and teaching as well as on the further development of the range of courses offered. Among other things, the University Council participates in the selection committee as well as in the University Assembly in the elections of the Presidential Board and the appointment of the Chancellor's Office, comments on the Basic Regulations, on the principles of equipment and internal resource allocation as well as before the conclusion of target and performance agreements with the Ministry. Further tasks include the confirmation of the economic plan, as well as the resolution and approval of the annual financial statement, combined with the resolution on the discharge of the Presidential Board. In cooperation with the Senate (§ 35 ThürHG), the University Council performs the tasks of the University Assembly (§ 36 ThürHG); in particular, the election of the Presidential Board and the Chancellor as well as the structural and development planning of the university and its updating are to be mentioned here.