Skip to main contentSkip to page footer

Requirements for studying in Germany

General Requirements

International prospective students need a higher education entrance qualification ("Hochschulzugangsberechtigung") to be able to study in Germany. The verification of the higher education entrance qualification is carried out according to uniform assessment standards for the Federal Republic of Germany.

The school-leaving certificate that entitles you to study at a higher education institution is called a university entrance qualification. In some countries, an entrance examination must be taken in addition to the school-leaving certificate before you are allowed to study at a university. In Germany, the "Abitur" certificate usually entitles you to study. Whether your school-leaving certificate is sufficient to study in Germany will be checked during the application process. The criteria are binding throughout Germany. You can also check on your own whether your school-leaving certificate entitles you to study in Germany directly or whether further achievements are required.

Language Requirements

Language is considered a key to a country's culture. Learning German is not only a basic requirement for the vast majority of degree programmes in Germany, but it also helps you to find your way in everyday life in Germany and to meet many exciting people.

In order to enroll in a German-language degree programme, you must have one of the following German language certificates:

  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz – Second Level.
  • Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH) 2 or 3
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C2: Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
  • German part of the assessment examination ("Feststellungsprüfung") of a study college (preparatory course)
  • Telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
  • Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) with at least 4 points in all sections (16 points in total)

Exchange students who wish to study at EAH Jena in a German-language degree programme require at least German level B1 (intermediate) according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Exchange students who wish to study at EAH Jena in the English-language Master's programme in Scientific Instrumentation must prove English language skills at level B2 (upper intermediate level).

No knowledge of German is required for admission to our English-language master's programme in Scientific Instrumentation. However, you must provide proof of one of the following English certificates:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): at least 550 points paper-based version or 79 points internet-based version.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0 overall band score

For more information on Scientific Instrumentation, please click here.

Conditional Admission

If you do not meet the general or language requirements mentioned above, you may be granted conditional admission.

  • Even if you do not have a direct university entrance qualification ("Hochschulzugangsberechtigung") for studying in Germany, you may have access to a preparatory course at a study college in Germany. Successful completion of the study college ("Feststellungsprüfung") gives you subject-restricted access to German universities.
  • If you do not have the required language certificate at the time of application, but meet the general requirements ("Hochschulzugangsberechtigung"), you may receive conditional admission to the language preparation course from the EAH Jena. 

In the Studienkolleg, international applicants are prepared for studying at a German university in various courses. This only applies to applicants whose previous educational qualification has not been recognised as a university entrance qualification in Germany. Classes at the Studienkolleg are held in German. In order to be admitted to a Studienkolleg, you must take an entrance test. However, you may only take the entrance test if you have already received a conditional admission to study from a German university. There are both state and private Studienkollegs. At state-run Studienkollegs you do not pay tuition fees. However, there is a lot of competition for places and you need a very good result in the entrance test to get a place. In private Studienkollegs, on the other hand, you pay fees. However, there is less competition for places than at state-run Studienkollegs. There is a private Studienkolleg near the Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena. There is also a state Studienkolleg in the further vicinity.

With a conditional admission for language preparation, you can register for a study-preparatory German course at a large number of language schools in Germany. The following language schools and institutes exist in Jena:

Course-specific Prerequisites

In addition to the general and language requirements, there may be further requirements depending on the degree programme. Please inform yourself about the specific prerequisites on the study programme pages.

Preliminary internships of 8 to 12 weeks or professional qualifications are required as admission requirements in some Bachelor's degree programmes. The pre-study internships can usually be made up until the 3rd semester. This is regulated in the individual study programmes by the respective study and examination regulations.

For an application to the Master's programme, no previous internships have to be proven.

In some degree programmes, the number of applicants is greater than the number of available places. The selection criterion here is the grade point average of the university entrance qualification for German and international applicants alike. The selection procedure specifies a minimum grade point average (Numerus Clausus, NC) that must be met for possible admission. Nevertheless, the chances of obtaining a place at university are very good.

Dr. Danny von Nordheim
Leitung Akademisches Auslandsamt
  • 01.00.12
Danny von Nordheim
Johann Lose
Foto: Michelle-Sharon Cole

Contact person for application to the Master's program

Master Service
  • 01.00.10/11

Contact person for application for exchange studies

Robert Schäf
Akademisches Auslandsamt
  • 01.00.07/1
Robert Schäf