Studying without a high school diploma

- Access to higher education for qualified professionals (without higher education entrance qualification) -

In the Thuringian Higher Education Act (ThürHG of 21.12.2006) last amended by Article 128 of the Act of 18 December 2018 (GVBl. p. 731, 794), 2 options are offered to enable qualified professionals without a university entrance qualification (HZB) to study.

1. university access with a vocational qualification

  • With a successful master craftsman examination or a successful technician as well as business economist training (state examined) according to ThürHG § 67 Abs. 1 Nr. 3 b) und c) it is also possible to have direct access to higher education in the case of further education equivalent to a master craftsman examination (min. with 400 hours) in the learned profession according to the Vocational Training Act, according to the Crafts Code or according to another regulation under public law (ThürHG § 67 Abs. 1 Nr. 3 a).
  • This means that university access is also possible via a recognised further vocational training (at least 400 hours) if the above-mentioned equivalence with the master craftsman's examination is established by means of a legal ordinance (GVBL 2009, 509 dated 18. 06.2009) by the responsible ministry or by the university itself.
  • You must submit the following with your application: Confirmation of the duration of the professional training, the content as well as the final grade.
  • At the UAS Jena there are currently no "university-own" entrance examinations offered.

2. university access through "probationary studies" (ThürHG § 70, paragraph 1)

Vocationally qualified persons without a university entrance qualification who have successfully completed at least two years of vocational training in a field related to the intended course of study, as regulated by federal or state law, and can subsequently demonstrate at least three years of full-time professional experience in a field sufficiently related to the intended course of study, may take up a "study on probation".

The applicant must be advised by an advisor in the department about the probationary study program before beginning the study program. The results of the counselling must be recorded in writing in a counselling record. The duty to advise includes at least the information about which probationary period is relevant for the course of study chosen by the applicant and which evidence the applicant has to provide. The evidence to be provided does not have to be prescribed in the study and examination regulations. The advice must also point out that the applicant must enquire at the BAföG office about the details of his or her support. The applicant must submit this proof of counselling with the application to study on probation.

The grade of the professional qualification is regarded as the HZB grade and the date of the study counselling for the trial study as the HZB date.

The study and examination regulations of the respective degree programme apply to the student on probation, insofar as the regulations are applicable to the study on probation and no deviating regulations are made in these statutes.

At the end of the probationary period of study (maximum 2 semesters), at least 50% of the credits specified for the probationary period of study in the examination schedules (appendix to the examination regulations) of the degree programmes must have been earned.

At the end of the trial period, the decision on final enrolment is made. If the prerequisites for the continuation of the studies according to § 5 Para. 2 are fulfilled, the student will be enrolled in the semester which corresponds to the achievements in the trial period; this can also be the semester following the trial period. Students who continue their studies will be credited for the work they have completed to date. If the requirements are not met, the student must be exmatriculated.

Further details are regulated by the "Satzung der Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena zum Studium auf Probe" (EAH Jena Announcement Gazette, Volume 13/Edition 48/December 2015).

Academic advising for the "study on trial

Study programme
Nursing Management - part time, serving further education (B.Sc.) - berufsbegleitend
Prof. Dr.OlafScupin
+49 3641 205 827
Ergotherapy (B.Sc.)
Renatevon der Heyden
+49 3641 205 654
E-Commerce (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.MichaelStepping
+49 3641 205 906
Electrical Engineering / Information Technology (B.Eng.)
+49 3641 205 703
Business Administration (B.A.)
Prof. Dr.AlexanderMagerhans
+49 3641 205 563
Business Information Systems (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.HansKlaus
+49 3641 205 579
Social Work (B.A.)
Prof. Dr.SörenKliem
+49 3641 205 832
Environmental Technology (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.ChristophKoch
+49 3641 205 908
Environmental Technology and Development (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.ChristophKoch
+49 3641 205 908
Ophthalmic Optics / Optometry (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.StephanDegle
+49 3641 205 428
Biotechnology (B.Eng.)
Prof. Dr.ChristinaSchumann
+49 3641 205 614
Precison Engineering (B.Eng.)
Prof. Dr.-Ing.FrankDienerowitz
+49 3641 205 410
Midwifery (B.Sc.)
Midwifery Science (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.AnnekatrinSkeide
Laser- and Optotechnologies (B.Eng.)
Prof. Dr.BurkhardFleck
+49 3641 205 354
Laser- and Optotechnologies dual study (B.Eng.)
Mechanical Engineering (B.Eng.)
Prof. Dr.-Ing.Jörg-HenrySchwabe
+49 3641 205 344
Mechatronics (B.Eng.)
Prof. Dr.-Ing.Jörg-HenrySchwabe
+49 3641 205 344
Medical Engineering (B.Eng.)
Prof. Dr.-Ing.SebastianKönig
+49 3641 205 630
Microtechnology/Physics Engineering (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.MichaelRüb
+49 3641 205 479
Optometry (advanced in-service training) (B.Sc.) - berufsbegleitend
Physiotherapy (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr. habil.BernhardElsner
+49 3641 205 286
Nursing (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.SusanneGrundke
+49 3641 205 867
Nursing Management (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.OlafScupin
+49 3641 205 827
Rescue and Emergency Care (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.JohannesWinning
+49 3641 205 774
Materials Engineering (B.Eng.)
Prof. Dr.JörgTöpfer
+49 3641 205 479
Business Administration and Engineering - Digital Economy (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.-Ing.ChristianErfurth
+49 3641 205 920
Business Administration and Engineering - Industry (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.-Ing.TobiasPfeifroth
+49 3641 205 948
Business Administration and Engineering - Industry International (B.Sc.)
Prof. Dr.JuanaVasella
+49 3641 205 474

The contact person for the Department of Basic Sciences is Prof. Dr. Mario Walther (