Optometry (advanced in-service training)
Unique selling points:
- extra-occupational higher qualification for professional practitioners in optometry and health services
- high proportion of practice
- interdisciplinary orientation
- excellent career prospects
For you as a graduate of the part-time Bachelor's degree programme "Optometry", there is a complex field of application that represents an excellent interface between people, medicine and technology. You will be able to recognise, analyse and adequately treat not only refractive errors but also visual disorders at a scientific level. This includes optical and optometric as well as biological and clinical-medical knowledge and techniques to examine visual disorders and achieve the best possible vision.
With the part-time Bachelor's degree programme "Optometry", you will open up further professional fields of application beyond the traditional optician's trade, such as specialised optician's shops/optometry practices/institutes, contact lens institutes, ophthalmological institutions (ophthalmologist's practices and eye clinics) or institutions for rehabilitation of the visually impaired. You are able to apply comprehensive optometric examinations in a practice-relevant and goal-oriented manner through knowledge and techniques on the visual system and its measurement.
Through the teaching of business management skills in business administration as well as marketing and business management, you can excellently fill management positions in specialist shops, branches and companies in optometry/optics as well as in the optical industry, e.g. in marketing.
With the Bachelor of Science degree, you will also acquire an internationally recognised qualification and have the opportunity to work abroad. And if you would like to continue your studies, you have the option of completing a Master's degree and possibly a doctorate.
The demands on people's visual tasks in today's high-tech multimedia world are constantly growing: e.g. activities on screens and displays, visual quality control, a wide range of sports and leisure activities, high visual demands in road traffic. The diversity of visual tasks calls for optometric fittings that are tailored to these tasks and require a prior individual optometric examination. In addition, the principles and applications of vision testing devices and corrections or corrective aids are currently developing at a completely new level, e.g. day and night refraction, wavefront-corrected lenses, laser refractive interventions, accommodating intraocular lenses. As a graduate of the part-time Bachelor's degree programme "Optometry", you will be one of the most sought-after specialists in the age of digitalisation. During your part-time studies, you will become familiar with various optometric examination methods and care options, enabling you to provide complex care for people of all ages. In addition, you will be able to think your way into new situations within a very short time, develop solutions on your own and in a team and think outside the box thanks to the interdisciplinary orientation of the degree programme. You have learned to look at complex tasks from different angles and you have the confidence to solve problems with common sense. In your studies you will deal with, among other things:
- Optometric measurements and assessments
- Analysis and management of binocular disorders
- Pathology and pharmacology
- Examination techniques for the anterior and posterior segment of the eye
- Preparation and presentation of case reports (casuistry)
- Low vision
- Business administration for ophthalmic optics/optometry as well as marketing and business management
- Statistics and scientific work
The part-time option of the bachelor's degree in optometry is based on the fact that 50 % of the contents/competences are recognised via the master's degree (advance recognition), i.e. 90 ECTS credits are awarded for these contents/competences for the first four semesters. The remaining 50% of the contents/competences (90 ECTS points) are taught in the following four semesters (semesters 5 to 8).
Credit for the master's degree in "Ophthalmic Optics" (90 ECTS)
- Optometric measurements and assessments
- In-depth anatomy and physiology of the eye
- Analysis and management of binocular disorders
- Business administration for ophthalmic optics/optometry
- Marketing and business management
- Casuistry Optometry
- Anterior segment examination techniques and findings
- Low Vision
- Casuistry Low Vision
- Clinical Practical Course
- Casuistry contact lens
- English for Optometrists
- Scientific work
- Bachelor thesis
"I enjoyed my studies very much. [...] Now I'm in my 7th semester and I don't regret a single second of studying."
"It is very familiar with cohesion between all semesters, joint celebrations, where the lecturers are not missing either, make for a relaxed atmosphere."
"Setting the course for your future career in the city of optics is perfect. We have the privilege of learning from the best."
Completed master craftsman training as a master optician
A-levels or entrance qualification for universities of applied sciences are not required separately, as admission to studies can be granted with the master craftsman's diploma
General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur) OR subject-linked higher education entrance qualification OR advanced technical college entrance qualification
You don't have a higher education entrance qualification but you have work experience? Then find out more here.
- higher education entrance qualification (Abitur), subject-related higher education entrance qualification or entrance qualification for a university of applied sciences (Fachhochschulreife)
- you don't have a higher education entrance qualification but you have work experience? Then inform ourself here.
If you have not completed an apprenticeship as an optician (please enclose the certificate with your application documents), you must provide proof of a preliminary internship in a specialized optical company by the end of the 3rd semester.
1) In the following circumstances, documents must be submitted electronically with the online application:
- if you have already studied in germany: documents on a previous study (complete overview with all examination attempts as well as, if applicable, exmatriculation certificate, in case of a definitively failed examination the corresponding proof, if applicable, degree certificate of the first study)
- for international applicants: Copy of the letter of admission, university entrance qualification, proof of German language, foundation college certificate
- If you belong to one of these two groups, your application will first be checked by the staff of the student registry. You will only be admitted after a successful examination.
2) After successful online application, you apply for enrollment electronically and then send the enrollment documents (see below) to the university by postal service:
- printed and signed application form for enrollment (generated after the electronic application for enrollment)
- copy of your passport or identity document
- certified copy of your university entrance qualification (high school diploma, certificate of secondary technical school, etc.)
- curriculum vitae in table form (optional)
- for studies without higher entrance qualification: certified copy of the vocational training certificate, proof of at least 3 years of professional activity as well as a completed and approved academic advising form, signed by the faculty.
- In case of professional qualification: certified proof of confirmed further professional training of at least 400 hours and certificate of final grade
- in the case of second degree or previous studies: documents on previous studies (certificate of exmatriculation, certificate of course of studies to date with details of the course of study, number of semesters as well as details of semesters on leave of absence, if applicable, officially certified degree certificate from the first degree program)
- bank statement with proof of payment of the semester fee
- addressed and stamped postcard as confirmation of receipt of your application (if desired)
- Please note: Proof of health insurance is only provided electronically. Please inform yourself about the new student registration procedure here
- You can have certifications made, for example, by municipal authorities (e.g. city council), health insurance companies or a notary. Otherwise, you can bring your original certificates with you and show them to us when you hand in your application documents in person.
- In your own interest, please make sure that the documents you submit are complete, otherwise your application may be processed with a delay.
- Please do not send us any originals unless this is expressly requested.
- Please understand that we cannot confirm receipt of your application by telephone. If you wish to receive a confirmation of receipt, please enclose a stamped postcard with your address. The confirmation of receipt does not include a check for completeness or correctness of the application documents.
Please apply on our application platform https://campusportal.eah-jena.de or click on the field "Register now" on the right side. As soon as you click on the menu item "Register now" in the campus portal, you will first be asked to enter your personal data for the registration. To ensure communication between you and the university during the enrollment process, we ask you to enter an e-mail address that you actively use. After registration you will automatically receive a message with the access data and the activation code for your e-mail address. Therefore, please check your e-mail inbox (and spam folder if necessary) immediately afterwards and confirm your e-mail address by either clicking on the activation link or entering the activation code in the "E-mail verification" menu item in the application portal.
Note: Please register only once, even if you want to apply for more than one degree program.
In the case of admission-free study programs, you are guaranteed a place on the program. Therefore, you can only apply/register for one open-admission program.
2. add application form and enter data electronically (upload supporting documents if necessary)
First, you choose the type of degree and the study program for which you are applying. Please enter all necessary data carefully in the application portal. During the data entry process, depending on your academic background, you may be required to upload some digital evidence. Have all the necessary information and evidence ready in electronic form.
3. submit application electronically
At the end of the application, you confirm the correctness of your electronic data by checking the appropriate box and submitting your application electronically. As soon as you have submitted the application electronically, you will be automatically forwarded to the enrollment portal in the next step to apply for enrollment, provided that you have not studied in Germany or are an international student applicant.
4. apply for enrollment electronically
The first thing you do on the enrollment portal is to electronically enter additional data required for enrollment. This information is requested on the basis of HStatG and must be entered completely. Once the enrollment data has been entered in full, clicking on "Complete digital enrollment" will take you back to the application portal, where you will finally find the enrollment application (PDF format) for the degree program you have applied for.
5. send the enrollment application including documents by mail to the University of Applied Sciences Jena
Please print out the PDF enrollment application and sign it. Afterwards, you should send it together with all documents required for enrollment (see document checklist) by post service to the address indicated on the enrollment application within the corresponding deadline.
6. enrollment completed
As soon as the enrollment documents have been received by postal service at the Ernst Abbe University of Applied Sciences Jena and the enrollment is completed, you will receive a starter package with the following documents by mail from the registration office of the university:
- provisional student ID
- certificate of study
- certificate for the application of BAföG
- starter booklet
- information about the start of your studies
The THOSKA (Thuringian University and Student Union Card) is your student ID as well as your semester ticket in chip card form. You will receive it at the THOSKA office at the beginning of the semester. Information about the semester fee can be found here.
If you would like to cancel your enrollment, please send us the complete starter package together with the application form for cancellation of enrollment and the application form for fee refund by the end of the previous semester (31.03./30.09.). In this case, we will delete your enrollment and you will be considered as not enrolled for the entire semester. According to the current fee regulations of the University of Applied Sciences Jena, a cancellation fee of 25,00 Euro will be charged, which will be deducted from the refund of the semester fee. If you return the semester documents too late or not completely, you can only deregister by submitting an application form for de-registration. The paid semester fee cannot be refunded.
You can check whether your school-leaving certificate gives you direct access to German universities or whether you need to complete additional work, e.g. in the form of years of study in your home country or attendance at a Studienkolleg in Germany. The database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) will help you step by step. After a few clicks you will know whether you have direct access or not. Did you not find your country? Then please search the database anabin.
You want to apply as an international applicant without a German university entrance qualification for a bachelor program at University of Applied Sciences Jena? Then please apply online via the application portal of the University of Applied Sciences Jena (selection: Studienkolleg/Sprachvorbereitung). Your application will be reviewed by us for a fee. You can find an overview of the fees here.
If you already have experience in a field of study and would like to enter a higher semester, this is generally possible at University of Applied Sciences Jena. However, there are some peculiarities in the application process. You can find all information and contact persons here.
15.05. - 30.09.
01.12. - 31.03.